This week’s activity was a bit time-consuming, we had to create a social network map of the people who are in our lives. I chose to include my immediate family, my significant other, and a few high school friends. There isn’t many people, actually there is but I can’t recall them all. Well here it is then…. here is my social network:
Orange: I talk to but not that often (orange-red same concept except the periods of communication are delayed much more)
Red: I used to talk to them often, but as soon as I started college, lost all contact.
Green: People who I talk to every single day, they are whom I associate with most often.
What I must respond to:
Do you think of the term “Social Network” as applying to your RL life and your RL, physical friends? Or mostly to Online & Mobile tools that connect you to people in cyberspace?
Does Dunbar’s Number make sense to you? That we can only have around 150 truly meaningful relationships, and any others we know will be in more fragmentary ways?
What does it mean to have 1,000 or 2,000 or 5,000 Facebook “friends”? Who are these people? What sorts of relationships do you have to them?
When we visualized our Art110 Social Network, or when you visualized your personal Social Network, did anything surprise you? Did you find any connections or relationships that you hadn’t thought about or realized any different connections?
What’s your Personal Number? How many people would you like to have close relationships with in your life? 1? 10? 100? 1,000?
Do you have more “friends” on Facebook or some other platform than are truly your “friends”? What is your relationship to those “extra friends”? Have these weak ties ever brought you new resources like a job opening, someone to date, a cool event, info for something you were working on, etc?
1) I think it applies to both online and real life friends. Social networking is a skill that can help one create new links to the outside world. When one social networks with another individual it creates new opportunities for both parties.
2) Yes, Dunbarr’s Number makes complete sense. How is one to maintain close, strong ties with about 150 people?? I can barely maintain ties with 20 people. Lives are constantly changing and it is quite difficult to sometimes manage and balance relationships.
3) I wouldn’t know… I do not have a Facebook. I do have an Instagram, but those friends are simply people who wish to have a line of communication with me just in-case. ( In-case of what I am not sure.. like am I a fire alarm? Contact when in dire situation??)
4) SHORT ANSWER: Yes, there were a few surprises.
5) My personal number? It was around 10, if I place everyone into groups, then its probably 4 groups I interact with.
6) Yes, I have more “friends” on Instagram than real life. The “extra friends” are people I went to school with and we swapped info to keep in touch.
Be sure to check out the post about Telemachus and Eucharis.
I bring this up in case you were wondering what the painting was behind me!!